St Mary Euphrasia Pelletier founded the Good Shepherd Sisters in France in 1835. She believed in the Christian Gospel message of love and compassion for the most vulnerable.
The innate dignity of each person is at the heart of being Good Shepherd. It is Mary Euphrasia’s love, compassion, zeal and audacity that form her legacy to us, who now walk in her footsteps. Having spread throughout the world, inlcuding Australia, Good Shepherd sisters first arrived in Western Australia and settled in Leederville in 1902. Continuing their mission of serving women and girls in need, they began St Clare’s School in 1956 at their Convent premises in West Leederville. Many of the sisters have had some involvment in the school over the years. In particular, Sr Patricia Evans and Sr Geraldine Mitchell made extraordinary contributions as Principal for many years, and Sr Naomi McClement served extensively on the School Board.